Elevate your career with a 100% online bachelor’s degree in public relations
Program Details: 4 years | $650 Cost per Credit | 120 Credit Hours
Completing your online BA in Journalism and Mass Communication in Public Relations at Drake University will prepare you for success in the expanding PR field. One of only 40 programs accredited by the Certification for Education in Public Relations, our online bachelor’s degree in public relations is a top choice for students seeking to become highly qualified candidates in this market.
The online degree in public relations is designed for maximum flexibility and convenience with asynchronous courses that equip students with skills in strategy, multicultural communication, consumer behavior, and global branding. Students who enter the program after earning an associate degree may complete their online bachelor’s degree in public relations in as little as two years. For other candidates, the average duration is four years.
Our accredited online public relations degree program will prepare you with the skills most in demand for a career in mass communication. As a student, you’ll experience relevant, real-world education and have the opportunity to gain real work experience as you pursue your online degree in public relations. Graduates will complete the program with their chosen specialization in public relations:
- Global and Multicultural Communication – Learn to successfully communicate across the globe and engage with different cultures. Skills gained include crisis communication.
- Corporate Public Relations – Gain skills and experience in one of the fast growing segments of PR. Learn event planning, communication leadership, crisis communication, data visualization, and other important abilities.
- Nonprofit and Advocacy Communication – Increase your competencies and capabilities in support of public affairs and advocacy, fundraising and development, and strategic communication. You will learn event planning, DEI in communication, and how to communicate in the worlds of nonprofit organizations.
Career outlook in media and communications
With 14% growth expected in media and communications jobs by 2030,1 your degree in public relations will be in high demand. After graduation, you will be equipped for roles in business communication, government bodies, nonprofit organizations, and marketing agencies.
After completion of your online bachelor’s in public relations, you will qualify for multiple occupations in the PR and mass communication field. You may pursue roles such as special events coordinator (median annual salary of $44,0402) or public relations specialist (median annual salary of $62,8003).
As a journalism and mass communication student at Drake University, you will have access to career development services. Our career specialists can help you build your resume, write a cover letter, and prepare for interviews to jumpstart your career.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities. Official transcripts must be prepared and sent by the institution in question and received by Drake University in a sealed envelope.
- Submit your ACT or SAT score or a one-page essay (prompt available in application).
About the School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Drake University couples hands-on training in professional skills with a strong liberal arts education to prepare students to become leaders in their fields. Drake’s SJMC is committed to developing educated, successful professionals poised to start exciting careers in the fields of journalism and mass communication. Close to 100% of SJMC graduates in recent years have reported working in jobs within their fields, other professional jobs of their choice, or attending graduate school within six months of graduation.
Drake’s SJMC is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. Drake is among 117 accredited programs worldwide, is the only accredited program in a private institution in the Midwest, and is one of only 18 in the nation. To earn accreditation, schools meet eight standards, which address such issues as class size and diversity within the faculty and curriculum. Accreditation reviews occur every six years. Drake’s program has been continuously accredited since 1972, most recently in 2017.
- “Media and Communication Occupations.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved on June 15, 2022 from https://www.bls.gov/.
- “Average Special Events Coordinator Salary.” Payscale. Retrieved on June 15, 2022 from https://www.payscale.com/.
- “Public Relations Specialist.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved on June 15, 2022 from https://www.bls.gov/.