Boost Your Earning Potential and Career Opportunities
Program Details: 1-2 years | $663 Per Credit | 33 Credit Hours
- Expert Faculty
- Fully Online Courses
- No Application Fee
- Transfer Credits Accepted
- Three Unique Tracks
- Convenient Six-Week Courses
Given the success of our on-campus communication master’s program, where alumni have reported increased salaries of more than 50% after graduation, we are excited to now offer a 100% online Master of Arts in Communication degree program.
You’ll gain a well-rounded education in communications and related fields, including business, law, marketing, and public policy. Align your degree with your career goals by choosing one of three tracks: Brand Communication, Communication Leadership, and Public Affairs & Advocacy.
Interdisciplinary, Flexible Curriculum
The interdisciplinary nature of the online Master of Arts in Communication degree gives you several new perspectives on the field, making you more marketable. All six-week courses in the MA degree program are asynchronous, which means you can study when and where it works best for you. There are no in-person requirements or scheduled online class meetings.
Communication Courses That Foster Success in Numerous Fields
Seek your online master’s in communication degree with Drake to study communication through the lens of business, law, marketing, public policy, and other focus areas. The program includes 33 credit hours and lets you align your education with your ambitions through the following tracks:
- Brand Communication: Build the digital marketing skills needed to develop creative strategies that inspire diverse audiences to take action.
- Communication Leadership: Emerge as a communication leader with rich multimedia skills and expertise in research, professional ethics, and digital strategies.
- Public Affairs & Advocacy: Bring your communication talents to political, public policy, or advocacy roles by honing your understanding of professional ethics, speechwriting, and legislation.
Drake’s online Master of Arts in Communication will prepare you to:
- Understand the history, evolution, ethics, and application of various communication disciplines.
- Identify and understand the theoretical foundations of the discipline, evaluate their effectiveness in communication practice, and apply them to real-world clients/issues.
- Analyze the implications of ethical communication in a global society, develop the ability to communicate in an increasingly global society, develop message strategies that serve diverse and multicultural constituencies, and understand and demonstrate ethical policy.
- Develop critical thinking skills through the analysis and evaluation of message strategies for diverse audiences.
- Create, present, and defend a fully realized original research project or a communication project with a community partner.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities.
- Submit contact information for two professional recommendations.
- Personal essay specific to your track focus.
Explore our admissions requirements here.
Drake University takes pride in delivering the best value education possible to our students. With our online Master of Arts in Communication degree program which costs $663 per credit hour, you’ll be prepared to pursue your career goals with skill, knowledge, and confidence. Explore our tuition details here.
Careers for Online MA in Communication Grads
Drake’s communication master’s program provides an exceptional opportunity for you to bring varied experience to the job market. Upon graduation, you will be ready to tackle higher-level positions in your career while becoming an ethical global leader. You could become a communications manager, advertising or marketing manager, chief marketing officer, media planner, technical writer, public relations specialist, and more.
Careers in media and communications are growing fast, with over 68,600 new jobs projected in the U.S. from 2021 to 2031.1 Management careers are growing even faster, with 883,900 new jobs projected over the same time frame.2
- The 2021 median pay for marketing managers was $135,030.3
- The 2021 median pay for advertising and promotions managers was $127,150.3
Kelly Bruhn, Professor, Public Relations — Dr. Bruhn teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in public relations strategy, PR campaigns, and research. She earned her doctorate from Michigan State University, a master’s degree from Ball State University, and an undergraduate degree in communications from Valparaiso University. She is accredited by the Public Relations Society of America. Prior to joining the Drake faculty in 2009, Bruhn created award-winning campaigns for Verizon Wireless and various nonprofit organizations. In 2013, she was recognized by the Des Moines chapter of the Public Relations Society of America as an outstanding chapter member, and she served as the 2018 Central Iowa PRSA Chapter president. Her research interests include public relations pedagogy and agency-client relationships.
Alisa, Drake University Online Student — “MAC 201: Communication Leadership Strategies was a stimulating course. It provided exposure to materials and strategies that caused me to make immediate changes in my business and personal life. I grew tremendously by making informed decisions about how I can better lead.”
About the School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Drake University couples hands-on training in professional skills with a strong liberal arts education to prepare students to become leaders in their fields. Drake’s SJMC is committed to developing educated, successful professionals poised to start exciting careers in the fields of journalism and mass communication. Close to 100% of SJMC graduates in recent years have reported working in jobs within their fields, other professional jobs of their choice, or attending graduate school within six months of graduation.
Drake’s SJMC is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. Drake is among 119 accredited programs worldwide, is the only accredited program in a private institution in the Midwest, and is one of only 17 in the nation. To earn accreditation, schools meet eight standards, which address such issues as class size and diversity within the faculty and curriculum. Accreditation reviews occur every six years. Drake’s program has been continuously accredited since 1972, most recently in 2017.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook. “Media and Communication Occupations.” Retrieved on Jan. 17, 2023, from https://bls.gov/.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook. “Management Occupations.” Retrieved on Jan. 17, 2023, from https://bls.gov/.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook. “Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers.” Retrieved on Jan. 17, 2023, from https://bls.gov/.