Earn your Master of Science in Education from a Top-ranked University
Program Details: 2-3 years | $520 Cost per Credit | 32 Credit Hours
- Expert Faculty
- Fully Online
- Six-Week Courses
- No Application Fee
- Endorsements Available
Drake’s 100% online Master of Science in Education in Effective Teaching is designed to prepare busy, working educators with leadership abilities both inside and outside of the classroom. According to 2023 rankings by U.S. News & World Report, Drake’s MSE placed No. 43 on the list of Best Online Master’s in Education Programs, moving up 32 spots from 2022.1
The online Master of Science in Education in Effective Teaching consists of 32 credit hours and provides educators with valuable instructional strategies needed to engage learners and become leaders in education. MSE graduates are prepared to rise to the level of teacher leader or master teacher, as well as take on roles as instructional coaches, content area specialists, or curriculum developers.
Note: This program does not provide nor lead to a teaching license or certification.
Contemporary Education Curriculum
Taught by the same distinguished faculty who teach on Drake University’s campus, courses are research-based and emphasize discussion, allowing students to learn from each other, as well. The online Master of Science in Education (MSE) curriculum emphasizes innovative methods in pedagogy that can be immediately applied in the classroom.
The program also allows teachers to gain additional expertise by earning an endorsement in Iowa. Iowa endorsements available to online MSE students include:
- Reading Specialist
- Talented and Gifted
Upon completing the online Master of Science in Education in Effective Teaching, you’ll be able to:
- Explore models of effective teaching
- Utilize research
- Become an instructional leader
- Promote collaboration
- Design, develop, and implement an instructional inquiry
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities.
- Submit electronic copy of your professional résumé.
- Submit a short statement about your goals for completing this program.
- Submit contact information for two professional recommendations.
Explore our admissions requirements here.
Drake University takes pride in delivering the best value education possible to our students. With our online Master of Science in Education in Effective Teaching, which costs $520 per credit hour, you’ll be prepared to pursue your career goals with skill, knowledge, and confidence.
Explore our tuition details here.
Enhance Your Teaching Career
Drake’s online Master of Science in Education in Effective Teaching emphasizes methods and pedagogy, which helps teachers learn new techniques to enhance their effectiveness as educators, and rise to the level of a master teacher.
- Overall employment in education occupations is projected to grow 7% from 2021 to 2031.2
- Those with a master’s degree in education make an average base salary of $63,000 per year.3
Lindsay Woodward, Associate Professor — My areas of interest involve adolescent literacy and technology in literacy education. My research focuses on the potential of digital tools to support effective literacy instruction, especially when situated in professional development for teachers. I am also interested in the nature of reading in digital spaces, particularly how secondary students locate and make sense of conflicting information. My work has appeared in such journals as the American Educational Research Journal, Reading Research Quarterly, and Teachers College Record.
About the School of Education
The School of Education at Drake University is a diverse community of collaborative learners dedicated to the preparation, licensure, advancement, and continuing education of teachers, counselors, school administrators, human resource development professionals, and other educational leaders of learning communities. Drake’s School of Education is one of the largest schools of education in the Midwest. It has an exceptional record of preparing highly effective elementary and secondary teachers, school counselors, principals, superintendents, and specialists working in training and organizational development in the corporate and non-profit sectors. The School of Education is guided by principles of academic reflection, collaborative learning, and social justice.
In addition to University accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, all certification and endorsement programs within the School of Education are approved and accredited by the Iowa Department of Education, pursuant to Chapter 79, Code of Iowa.
- Drake University. “Drake University ranks among the Best Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report.” Retrieved on Feb. 14, 2023, from https://news.drake.edu/.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook. “Education, Training, and Library Occupations.” Retrieved on Jan. 25, 2023, from https://bls.gov/.
- Payscale. “Master of Education (MEd) Degree.” Retrieved on Jan. 25, 2023, from https://www.payscale.com/.