Prepare for an in-demand career with an online bachelor’s degree from one of the best communication schools in the Midwest.
Become a leader in today’s dynamic media careers with Drake’s online communications degree, offered in a convenient, 100% online format. The Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication is primarily designed for students with an associate degree who want to earn a prestigious, highly marketable bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications. However, any student who has completed at least some college and achieved a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA in that coursework is eligible for admission.
This online communications degree focuses on honing communication skills and provides a comprehensive and balanced approach that encourages you to tailor your education to your career goals. Drake’s customizable curriculum includes core online communication courses in addition to public relations, advertising, social media, multimedia, and digital courses. You will graduate with in-demand expertise that will allow you to fast-track your career in a wide variety of fields, such as marketing, PR, advertising, journalism, and even non-profit or public policy. In fact, 99% of communication undergraduate students launch their career or begin graduate school within six months after graduation. In the communications major, you will learn to:
- Understand the history, evolution, ethics, and application of communication.
- Identify, understand, and evaluate communication strategies, and apply them to real-world clients/issues.
- Analyze the implications of ethical communication in a global society, and develop message strategies that serve diverse audiences.
- Develop critical thinking skills through analysis and evaluation of message strategies to diverse audiences.
- Create, present, and defend a fully realized communication campaign or media product.
- With the mentorship and dedicated advising of Drake’s expert faculty, and the hands-on, application-based learning that has earned Drake a national reputation for excellence, you will be poised to tackle high-level communications challenges in any organization. Launch a career with limitless potential with an online communications degree from a top university.
About the School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Drake University couples hands-on training in professional skills with a strong liberal arts education to prepare students to become leaders in their fields. Drake’s SJMC is committed to developing educated, successful professionals poised to start exciting careers in the fields of journalism and mass communication. Close to 100% of SJMC graduates in recent years have reported working in jobs within their fields, other professional jobs of their choice, or attending graduate school within six months of graduation.
Drake’s SJMC is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. Drake is among 117 accredited programs worldwide, is the only accredited program in a private institution in the Midwest, and is one of only 18 in the nation. To earn accreditation, schools meet eight standards, which address such issues as class size and diversity within the faculty and curriculum. Accreditation reviews occur every six years. Drake’s program has been continuously accredited since 1972, most recently in 2017.