Graduate with in-demand skills with a major in Digital Communication
Program Details: 2 years | $650 Cost per Credit | 124 Credit Hours
Job opportunities are flourishing for digital communication and media professionals! Our 100% online Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication with a major in Digital Communication will set you on the path to becoming a leader in today’s dynamic digital market.
We designed this degree for students who earned an associate degree and are interested in a bachelor’s degree in journalism or communication that emphasizes digital communications. That said, you don’t need an associate degree to get started—our online program can also serve students who have completed some or no college credits.
The online Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication degree with a major in Digital Communication helps you develop a range of digital competencies and hone your technical communication and marketing skills. Drake’s customizable curriculum includes core online digital communication courses in addition to public relations, advertising, social media, and multimedia courses.
Prepare for higher-salary digital communication roles
Start our online Digital Communication program to acquire in-demand expertise that leading companies desire. You will gain skills across many digital communication disciplines, including social media, search engine optimization, web development, and video storytelling. In fact, 99% of students launch their careers or pursue graduate school within six months of completing our online Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Communication degree program.
By selecting the Digital Communication major, you will partner with expert faculty during hands-on, application-based learning experiences that have earned Drake a national reputation for excellence. Each online course focuses on essential career competencies, enabling you to:
- Write and design an effective strategy for a digital media communications campaign or media product
- Explore the impact of digital technologies and analyze the implications of ethical digital communication in a global society
- Examine business applications of digital media, employing social media and SEO to build a bigger audience
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills for analyzing and developing a messaging strategy that resonates with diverse audiences
- Adapt to new technology environments and gain the ability to create multi-platform digital communication plans
Our online programs include dedicated career support
As a Drake SJMC student, you will have access to Career Development Services to help you prepare for what comes next. You will meet regularly with a career specialist who can help you create a cover letter, refine your resume, and coordinate mock interviews or job shadowing opportunities. The online Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Communication degree program also includes a one-credit course that focuses on:
- Building your brand
- Developing and presenting your professional portfolio
- Expanding your professional network
Whether you are working toward your dream job, searching for a fulfilling career, or want to pursue a digital communication role with a higher salary, our team will help you customize your Drake experience to ensure you’re ready for success.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities.
- (Optional) We encourage you to submit a typed, one-page personal essay that addresses the prompt: “Is there additional information you would like to share to give context to your transcripts?”
About the School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Drake University couples hands-on training in professional skills with a strong liberal arts education to prepare students to become leaders in their fields. Drake’s SJMC is committed to developing educated, successful professionals poised to start exciting careers in the fields of journalism and mass communication. Close to 100% of SJMC graduates in recent years have reported working in jobs within their fields, other professional jobs of their choice, or attending graduate school within six months of graduation.
Drake’s SJMC is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. Drake is among 117 accredited programs worldwide, is the only accredited program in a private institution in the Midwest, and is one of only 18 in the nation. To earn accreditation, schools meet eight standards, which address such issues as class size and diversity within the faculty and curriculum. Accreditation reviews occur every six years. Drake’s program has been continuously accredited since 1972, most recently in 2017.